Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Abster

I thought this was short! LOL


It actually got worse than this:



Well, life with the Abster hasn't necessarily been too easy lately. Life with her is a roller coaster, and sometimes we're going up and up and up, and sometimes we're plunging down, and sometimes we're just rolling along and being bored. I don't know which part of the ride I like the best, but regardless I can't get off, so I just sit back and try to enjoy the ride.

She ended up pulling out all of her hair but some tiny tufts of fluff. She looked very much like a chemo patient. To me, she's still a lovely girl with or without hair. Lately she has been eating *other* hair, and that is much worse, it turns out, than eating her own. I mean, it's gross. GROSS. She'll look for hairs stuck to the headrest in the car. She'll look for hairs anywhere she can find them. Once she finds a couple, she starts sucking on it and pulling it out of the corners of her mouth. Ick! Of course we stop her whenever we see her doing it, but there are times she's alone in the room or something and you can't control it.

She's been crying a lot lately. She doesn't seem to be in any physical pain, so we aren't sure what's going on. I suspect it's PMS, but I do have to remind myself that sometimes, people are just sad and need to cry. Even people with autism. :)

The doctor did bloodwork to rule out a physiological reason for the hair pulling. The only thing it showed wrong was severe anemia, so we're now supplementing her pretty heavily with iron. We also increased her Zoloft after a couple of weeks to see if that would help the hair pulling. I'm not sure if one of those things helped, or if she would've stopped anyhow, or if she's still doing it and we just can't tell.

C'est la vie.




1 comment:

Maisy said...

Hopefully the iron suppliments will bring things back to a good level. Abby is a lovely girl, with or without hair. Personality is there. And heart, even if it is under wraps sometimes. Thanks for sharing her with us.